Living on an island in the summer encourages a lifestyle of casual laid-back living. We call it living life salty! Everyday we spend hours on the beach, dipping our toes in the salty waters, and taking long walks along the sandy beaches collecting seashells. Sounds amazing right? Well, for the most part it is… but… all the sand can take a toll on your feet forming thick callous like skin.
While everyone enjoys treating themselves to a pedicure once in a while. It is equally nice to be able to soak your tired feet in a soothing foot bath at the end of each day. This soothing, homemade mixture of Epsom salt, lime zest and various natural ingredients would make a wonderful party favor for your Besties or for Mom on Mother’s Day. I promise that your friends and Mom will really enjoy this gift. Use our chic label (coming soon), affix it to a jar, and gift it to a special friend.
- 2 cups of Epsom Salt
- 1/2 cup of Baking Soda
- Zest of one Lime
- 3-4 drops of Lime Essential Oil
- 3-4 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
MIX IT UP!
To make the foot soak, combine 2 cups of Epsom salts with 1/2 cup baking soda and zest of one lime in a large bowl, and add 3-4 drops of lime essential oil and 3-4 drops of peppermint essential oil. Stir with wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. If you would like to add a little color add one drop of food color of your choice – i.e. green or blue. Stir well and pour the mixture into a jar and use within a few weeks. We suggest storing the mixture in a sealable container in the refrigerator to help keep it fresh since this recipe calls for the zest of one lime. When ready to use … pour about 1/4 cup of the foot soak mixture into a large bowl, add hot water, and soak your feet for 15 to 20 minutes. Enjoy a good book or read the latest issue of Vogue. When finished … dry off feet and apply a high quality moisturizer preferably something with Shea Butter in it. You will feel relaxed and ready for a restful night’s sleep.
- Epsom Salt soothes aches, eliminates smells and softens rough skin. It helps pull toxins out of your body while adding magnesium into your body. It reduces overall inflammation, helps prevent or relieve migraines, and eases daily stress.
- Baking Soda is good for exfoliating and eliminating oders, leaving your skin smooth and soft. It will also help neutralize any chemicals in your water.
- Lime is refreshing and invigorating and is routinely used for its energizing aroma. It is well known for its ability to cleanse, purify and renew the spirit and the mind.
- Peppermint is a refreshing, cooling, and soothing soak. The menthol induces a cooling sensation, and can help to cool you down, help ease tension headaches and muscular aches and pains. Peppermint also has anti-inflammatory properties.
The oils you choose to use is the key to enhancing your overall experience. Peppermint to cool, soothe, and invigorate. Lavender to relax. Eucalyptus as a powerful anti-bacterial, anti-viral soak. Tea Tree Oil as a natural antiseptic (disinfectant) with potent anti-inflammatory abilities. Tea Tree Oil is produced from a shrub-like tree known as Melaleuca in Australia. According to the University of Sydney, native aboriginals are believed to have taken advantage of its many healing benefits to treat skin conditions for thousands of year.
With Mother’s Day just around the corner put some of the mixture in a cute jar, include this chic label (coming soon), and tie on a scoop with a pretty ribbon before giving it as a gift to Mom or your best friend.