Cherries are a sweet summertime treat that are good for you! Like edible rubies – these sweet and succulent gems are perfect for breakfast, snacking, or a delicious dessert. Cherries are sweet yet firm with just a faint hint of tartness and come in shades of deep red. They’re gorgeous and delicious!
With fresh cherries on hand we contemplated on whether to make a summery cobbler or a sweet cherry parfait. We decided to go with the sweet cherry parfait that is easy to make and fun to share with friends.
Sconset Sweet Cherry Parfait
- 1 pound fresh deep red cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup of Chobani greek plain yogurt (or vanilla or cherry)
- Honey, sweeten to taste
- Top with real whip cream and fresh baked cookie crumbs (or top with granola for healthy version)
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Toss cherries with balsamic vinegar and let marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- On a roasting pan, evenly spread balsamic covered cherries and roast for 25 minutes at 400-degrees F. Save room for the slivered almonds and coconut and add them to the roasting pan for the last 2 to 3 minutes, as these roast quickly.
- In a separately bowl mix plain Greek yogurt with a light honey to sweeten.
- Layer all ingredients evenly in Mason jars and top with real whip cream.
Begin by tossing the fresh pitted cherries with a good balsamic vinegar and marinate for 30 minutes. Once the cherries have marinated spread them evenly over a roasting pan. Roasting always brings out wonderful flavor in foods, and fresh cherries are no exception. Leave a little space to roast the slivered almonds and shredded coconut for the last 2 to 3 minutes. A little nutty crunch adds a nice twist to this parfait and is perfect for layering. Once everything is roasted and toasted, layer the ingredients with the Greek yogurt that was sweetened with honey. If you prefer you may use vanilla or cherry yogurt as a substitute for the plain Greek yogurt. Top with real whip cream and fresh baked cookies crumbs. Invite your friends over and enjoy….