Start your day happy and relaxed and you will greatly increase your chances of a healthy, productive day. Too often people feel rushed in the morning – scrambling to get ready for work and getting the kids off to school. By the time you get to work you can feel a little overwhelmed! Try these five thing to help you start your day off happy:
1. WAKE UP EARLY. Seriously. You may have to go to bed earlier to get 8 hours of sleep but waking up 15 to 30 minutes earlier will allow you to take your time going through your morning routine, without rushing. We suggest that you pick out your work outfit the night before so that your morning is less stressful. Make sure it is pressed and ready to wear. Then you can begin your morning by lying in bed, waking up slowly. It’s just as important to have time to prepare yourself mentally as it is physically. So don’t give in to that snooze button.
2. HYDRATE. Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning gives the body a chance to absorb some vitamin C and can boost your energy level and your immune system. Vitamin C is also good for the adrenal glands which are responsible for balancing hormones and can potentially help reduce the affects of stress. So as you get ready for the day, drink an entire glass or two of lemon water and see how your energy levels improve through the day. You may even want to bring a sports bottle with you to work so you can hydrate throughout the day.
3. EXERCISE. When you workout first thing in the morning, you have more energy throughout the day and increase mental acuity, making you sharper all day long. Start by stretching your body to prepare your muscles and joints and enhanced the flow of blood through your body. Next, get your heart pumping with a quick jog around the neighborhood; the fresh air will make you feel great and will help ensure that your awake and alert! If the weather is bad try a 10 minute video workout in the luxury of your home. Once your morning workout is out of the way; you will have more time for relaxation when you get home from work.
4. EAT A HEALTHY BREAKFAST. Sounds simple, right? Allowing time for a healthy breakfast gives you the energy you will need to get through a busy day. It also gives you time to reflect on the day ahead. So eat a healthy breakfast at home; not rushing out the door on your way to work and definitely not at your desk when you get to work. Need some healthy breakfast ideas… think Greek yogurt with granola and berries, an omelet with Feta cheese and veggies, oatmeal with nuts and berries, or a Moroccan guacamole toast with an egg. Avoid breakfast foods high in sugar like donuts, pastries or muffins as these are not a healthy choice.
5. DO SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. Think about what makes you happy and try to spend at least 20-30 minutes doing it each morning to see how it affects your mood. We like to start our day by reading a motivational quote every morning and 15 minutes of relaxing meditation. This can provide a frame for the day, a sort of self-talk that keeps you motivated in the right direction as opposed to the negative thinking of the morning news.