We love fresh oysters on a half shell served on crushed ice with lemon wedges in the summertime! There isn’t a better place to sip on a glass of wine and enjoy oysters on a half shell then on the waterfront of Nantucket. If you are craving fresh oysters then you’ve come to the right place. Nantucket Island is surrounded by the beautiful Atlantic Ocean which provides our islanders and visitors with an abundance of delicious seafood. Plus who doesn’t love fresh seafood when they’re vacationing on an island?
Glidden’s Island Seafood | 115 Pleasant St, Nantucket | (508) 228-0912
Consider shucking your own and head on over to the Glidden’s Island Seafood where all the locals shop. This local fresh seafood market has been Nantucket’s Finest Fish Market since 1898. They offer the finest selection of Cape Cod steamer clams, P.E.I. mussels, Nantucket oysters, and Nantucket Bay Scallops. Glidden’s has a holding tank for live lobsters and they will gladly cook them for you with a phone call and during the summer season they offer lobster clambakes to go!
Nothing makes us happier than fresh seafood for dinner. If you’ve ever had fresh oysters you know that you need two very important items – cut proof kitchen gloves and a quality knife that can get between the two shells and hold up to a good twist and wrist turn.
Shucking your own is an affordable way to enjoy oysters on Nantucket at home or with friends but does requires a little skill. If you are a newbie then you will want to order a shucking knife and some chainmail shucking gloves so you don’t hurt yourself. You can also purchase a shucking knife at the local market. After you open a few, you’ll get the hang off it and you’ll be a pro in no time. Lastly, you will need some crushed ice, fresh lemons, and a bottle of wine to enjoy the makings of a fantastic evening of fresh seafood!
HOW TO SHUCK AND SERVE FRESH OYSTERS ON A HALF SHELL
1. Rinse a bag of freshly harvested oysters under cold running water to remove grit and then place in ice for 1 hour.
3. Place an oyster in one protected hand with the rounded cup side down in your palm and the narrower hinged point toward you.
4. Grab an Oyster Knife (pictured above) with your other hand. insert it into the hinge, just between the shells, and, with gentle pressure, twist the blade to prop the shell open. This one is also a very good Oyster Knife and is great for popping even the most difficult hinges open.
5. Run the blade over the meat along the top of the shell to server the oyster from its top shell.
6. Continue using a twisting motion to separate the top and bottom shells.
7. Lift off the top shell and discard unless you want to save them for a cool DYI project.
8. Cut under the oyster to release it from the bottom of the shell, being careful to keep as much liquid in the shell as possible.
9. Serve the opened oysters on a bed of crushed ice displayed on an Oyster Serving Tray. Repeat steps 3-8 until you shuck enough for everyone.
10. Lastly, garnish with fresh lemon wedges, a little parsley, and some delicious dipping sauces.
HERE ARE OUR FAVORITE SPOTS TO GET OYSTERS ON NANTUCKET
CRU OYSTER BAR | 1 Straight Wharf, Nantucket | (508) 228-9278
Toast to summer with their signature cocktail – CRUCOMBER and enjoy an oyster happy hour snack at the bar. You’ll be eating delicacies from the raw bar that are arguably the best on the island! Plus you will feel like the who’s who of ACK without the price tag. The daily selections of oysters come from island and nearby Cape Cod. We recommend that you order the Oysters on a half shell topped with caviar for a truly memorable experience. The CRU Oyster Bar located at the end of Straight Wharf, offering a beautiful waterfront of the insanely beautiful sailboats docked in the marina.
SANDBAR JETTIES BEACH | 4 Bathing Beach Rd, Nantucket | (508) 228-2279
If you’re looking for something more casual than CRU, somewhere you can come right in off the beach in your flip-flops, the Sandbar on Jetties Beach is the perfect place for you and your family. With tables nestled right in the sand overlooking Jetties Beach, you don’t have to miss a second of soaking up the sun or spending time with your children. Oysters on the half shell varieties include an on-island one like Pocomo Meadow and Island Creek from nearby Duxbury and for the kidos they offer PBJ (Peanut Butter and Jelly) and Grilled Cheese. Enjoy a relaxing afternoon on the beach with calm surf and good food for a truly memorable experience on Nantucket.
LOOKING TO DO SOME RECREATIONAL SHELLFISHING?
Learn all about Recreational Shellfishing Regulations from the Brant Point Marine. The Brant Point Marine is conveniently located next to the Town Pier and Nantucket Harbor at 32 Washington Street. They are open Monday thru Saturday 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM and Sunday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. If you are looking for boat rentals, moorings, or fishing gear you call 508-228-6244 for more information.